Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sundance Do's and Don'ts


And I’m done. For me, Sundance 2013 is over. Well, sort of. I’m sitting in the Yarrow Hotel finally drinking some water (no Sundance bottle today!) and writing up this blog. I’m trying very hard not to think of food – it’s been a while since I had a really enjoyable, relaxed sit-down dinner, or something well balanced and healthy. My brain is quickly descending into a fog of every movie I saw (which I think is about…

…Okay, so I decided rather than re-doing the beginning of this blog, I’d just start from where I left off. Right as I was typing that, my boyfriend walked in, I threw my computer in my bag and finally had a delicious, full meal of tofu tacos. Delicious is relative, of course, but I loved it.

Back to business. I’ve been thinking pretty intensely about how to sum up my Sundance experience into one blog and leave you with something not only interesting to read, but informative if you plan on coming to the festival in the future. So, here’s a quick list of do’s and don’ts.

             Sundance Do’s
1)      Wear Warm/Comfortable Footwear
I’m not sure why this was the first thing I chose to write, but you will be on your feet for a lot of the time. The dress code was lax and everyone at parties seemed comfortable to me. You want to be on your A game when talking to people, not distracted by blisters. Also water. Drink lots of water. This has nothing to do with footwear, but it’s a must.
2)      Do Extensive Research/Planning Before Coming
I know I’ve said this in my previous posts, but it’s essential that you know who made what movie you plan on seeing, what the movie is about and fully planning out your schedule. It’s good to know about multiple events going on at the same time so that you always have options
      3)   Get Involved
When overhearing other people’s fascinating conversations about a film, give your opinion. While watching a panel, ask a question. Involve yourself. Don’t be afraid to politely insert yourself into a conversation and add something to it. An intelligent question to a panel is memorable!

Sundance "Survival" essentials: tote bag, business cards, water, movie ticket, glasses (don't wear contacts the whole time!)
Sundance Don’ts
       1)  Don’t Only Go to Screenings
There are so many amazing panels not to be missed, especially held by the NY Lounge, parties to attend, and networking events. Sitting in a dark room all day only watching movies causes you to miss many a networking opportunity. You can learn more about film through the people you meet than watching the film.
2)      Don’t Sleep In
You’re not going to get any sleep. Just accept it. Know that you’ll be tired, drink some caffeine and tough it out. You’re only here a short while and you have to make the best of it. A lot of the panel talks are in the morning yesterday, so don’t hit the snooze.
3)      Don’t Drink A Lot (Unless it's Water)
Yes, there are a lot of parties going on and opportunities for free booze, but don’t be “that girl” or “that guy” at the party. You want to remember everyone you’re talking to and make a great impression. Also, similarly to number 2, you don’t want to have a hangover and miss a great panel or event.

Also, just in general, have fun. It’s not all work – there are some great movies to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment