Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Following the Leader


Taking on your own project can be extremely daunting. Over the past few months, I’ve gone from auditioning and hoping other people will give me parts to diving in on my own project. I am the leader and it’s been strange adjusting and being in charge of a vision. I was always the one in school that would take charge in a group project, and get the ball rolling so to speak, but when you’re in charge of a creative project with no expectations other than the ones you set for yourself, it can be tricky to make decisions and be clear about your expectations.

If you want to go from being in front of the camera to being behind it (and in front of it still!) you need to be a good communicator. I really do believe actors can make great creative leaders. We have skills that are necessary for this including:

1)      Listening
2)      Ability to think on feet
3)      Passion
4)      Team Player
5)      Instinctual

As actors, we are trained to embody a character, to explore the world of a play or screenplay and then forget all of our “homework” and make it our own. Our instincts and ability to listen are our most important assets. You started a project for a specific reason. You know what you want to do and why you want to do it. Trust this need to create and let it springboard you into making it happen.

Last week I started reaching out to collaborators to join my team for my feature “Gold Star.” It’s been strange to interview people and find out if they’d be a good fit for my production. I know it’s important for me to keep reminding myself to use my instincts and not rush to any decisions. I’ve always been a people pleaser, but I have to make the right decisions for my film. My goal is to have a core team in place by Thanksgiving and to start planning for pre-production. I’m excited by the people I’ve met with so far and have a great feeling about the team I’ll be able to get together.

Stay tuned over the coming weeks as people come on board!

What projects did you start on your own? What skills do you think are important in being a leader on either a creative project or in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment